First Reconciliation & First Eucharist
Preparation for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist at the Church of St. Pius X is accomplished through a combination of home and parish preparation sessions. At the Church of St. Pius X Reconciliation is received prior to First Eucharist. Children celebrate the sacrament when the parents, child, and sacramental coordinator feel the child is ready. This usually occurs in the second grade. Parent Orientation is in early fall, with celebration of the sacrament in early December.
The Sacrament of First Communion will be celebrated on a Sunday at the 10:30 AM Mass.
The Church of St. Pius X Sacramental Program for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist requires:
Attend a parent session for the explanation and exploration of home study materials, process and actual celebration of the sacraments. This session is for parents only. Attendance is required. The Parent Session includes:
- Explanation of the Sacramental Program as a whole and a preparation calendar for the sacrament.
- Specific discussion on the parent's role in preparing their child for Reconciliation.
- Explanation of the options a child has to receive the sacrament with the group or with your family.
- Background information on Reconciliation.
- Discussion of questions and/or concerns about Reconciliation.
- Participate in a Parent-Child Learning Center experience on First Reconciliation and First Eucharist. The Learning Center experience involves one session of about 45 minutes to an hour. It provides an opportunity for parents and child to come together to study various aspects of the sacrament, to actively participate in exercises that reinforce the concept of the sacraments, and to share a special sacred bonding with their child. This learning center experience is required.
- Use the home-study text.
- Partake in the formal and continuous preparation in Wednesday afternoon Faith Formation classes or day school classes.
- Celebrate the sacrament of Reconciliation in early December.
- Attend the Live Stations of the Cross.
- Participate in a mini-retreat which is usually in April.
- Receive sacrament of First Eucharist which is usually at the end of April or the beginning of May.